Group 2: America and the World in the 1930s: The Time Period of To Kill a Mockingbird
1st period presentation: Monday, April 6th from 8:05 – 8:30
5th period presentation: Monday, April 6th from 11:40 – 12:03
- The Stock Market Crash and The Great Depression: The Impact on Economic Prosperity for Blacks and Whites in America
- What was “Black Friday? What caused the stock market to crash? Had it happened before? Where/when? Could the stock market crash have been prevented? How?
- What impact did the stock market crash have on Americans and life in America? Explain some of the tragic events that occurred immediately after the Crash?
- Explain what the Great Depression was and its importance/prominence in American history. Who was President and what policies affected the Great Depression?
- What factors led to the Great Depression? What was life like for Americans during the Great Depression? Who was hardest hit and how? What were some examples that you can give to make the Great Depression real to today’s audience?
- The Dust Bowl: The Impact on Economic Prosperity for Blacks and Whites
- What was the Dust Bowl? Where did it take place and when? Who was directly affected by it?
- What impact did the Dust Bowl have on life in America? How is it connected to the Great Depression? Could it have been prevented? If so, how? Have we done things since then to prevent it from happening again or could it still happen?
- How did Herbert Hoover deal with this natural disaster and the people involved? What were “Hoovervilles” and why were they called that? Who were the “Okies”? Explain the problems that arose in the country in places like California as a result of the Dust Bowl, the “Okies,” and migrant farming.
- Herbert Hoover v. Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Two Presidencies, Two Policies, One Era in American History
- When was Herbert Hoover President? What condition was the country in when he started as President? What were his major policies as President (economic and domestic policies specifically)? What major changes happened in the United States while Hoover was President? What condition was the country in when he finished as President? What was his legacy as President? (ex. What were “Hoovervilles”? What do people remember him for?)
- When was FDR President? What condition was the country in when he started as President? What were his major policies as President (economic and domestic policies specifically)? What major changes happened in the United States while FDR was President? What condition was the country in when he finished as President? What was his legacy as President? (ex. What was “The New Deal”? What do people remember him for?)
- Compare and contrast each Presidency and the effect both had on the country. What were some famous quotes from each President and explain the significance of those quotes.
- The Rise of Hitler and Nazi Germany: Hitler’s Rise to Power, the Formation of the Nazi
Party, and the Treatment of Blacks in the U.S. Compared to Jews in Germany
- Who was Adolph Hitler? When was he born and what was his family like. Explain how he came into power in Germany (i.e. what was the condition of Germany before Hitler rose to power, what were Hitler’s policies and beliefs that gained him a following, etc.)
- Who were the Nazis? What were there beliefs and political philosophies that appealed to Germans and gave them popularity? Why were Jewish people the target for Hitler’s and the Nazis hatred? (i.e. what did they blame the Jews for and why?) Explain how the Nazis gained a following and rose to power.
- Compare the treatment of the Jews in Nazi Germany at this time to the treatment of Blacks in America at the same time. Specifically look at the condition of Germany and the U.S. economically and politically and explain laws in both countries that were created in each to target Jews and Blacks.