- 100 page, college-ruled composition notebook (please do not use a notebook with perforated pages that are easy to tear)
- tape or a glue stick
- a blue or black ink pen
- construction paper in five different colors
2. After page 6, stop numbering and take the top right corner of the next page and fold it down diagonally. Then, fold the bottom right corner up to make a triangle divider. This will be the “Writing Rules and Notes” section of your notebook.
To make the divider, fold a piece of construction paper in half and tape or glue the triangular divider between the two halves of the construction paper. Don’t tuck the construction paper deep into the crease of the notebook like I did! This kept the book from closing properly since the construction paper stuck straight up from the book at a ninety degree angle. In the picture below, you can see the remnants of where I had to remove the construction paper and move it further up the triangular divider so the notebook would close properly.
Once the divider is secure in your notebook, decorate it however you wish! Just make sure you include the title of the section!
3. Continue numbering the pages, starting with page 7. Stop after page 66 and use the next page to make another divider. This will be the “Reading Notes” section of your notebook.
4. Continue numbering the pages, starting with page 67. Stop after page 116 and use the next page to make another divider. This will be the “Greek and Latin Roots” section of your notebook.
5. Continue numbering the pages, starting with page 117. Stop after page 136 and use the next page to make another divider. This will be the “English Class Glossary” section of your notebook.
6. Continue numbering the pages, starting with page 137. Stop after page 147 and use the next page to make another divider. This will be the “Reflections” section of your notebook.
7. If you numbered the pages properly and added your dividers in the appropriate places, your notebook should look like this:
About the Author and Course Information – Pages 1-6
Section 1: Writing Rules and Notes – Pages 7-66
Section 2: Reading Notes – Pages 67-116
Section 3: Greek and Latin Roots – Pages 117-136
Section 4: English Class Glossary – Pages 137-146
Section 5: Reflections – Pages 147-190
Congratulations! You’ve successfully set up your interactive student notebook! Now you can decorate the cover of your notebook to represent who you are.
Throughout the school year, we will fill your notebooks up with notes, activities, and vocabulary words using foldables to organize important information.